3.04.2010

Week 8, Recipe 2: Balthazar Brioche French Toast

I bought this AMAZING brioche at the Dekalb Farmer's Market (aka my ATL 2nd home) and knew I had to make french toast.  Can I tell you this bread is so amazing that I ate a slice by itself driving back to Gainesville?  I don't even like bread like that.  Anyway, this recipe is from Martha Stewart's site.

Serves 4 to 6
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 loaf day-old brioche or challah bread, cut into 1-inch slices
  • 1/4 cup Clarified Butter
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Confectioners' sugar
  • Syrup, for serving
  • Fresh fruit or crisp cooked bacon, for serving (optional)

Directions
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and milk. Add cinnamon and nutmeg; whisk to combine.
Layer bread slices in a shallow baking dish and pour over egg mixture; let stand until bread begins to absorb liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn bread slices and let bread absorb liquid on the opposite side, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a baking sheet or ovenproof serving platter in oven.
Working in batches, coat the bottom of a medium skillet with some of the clarified butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add 3 to 4 slices of soaked bread and cook until golden brown and crisp. Turn bread and cook until golden brown and crisp, adding butter as necessary to help browning and to give the French toast a nutty flavor. Transfer French toast to baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining clarified butter, soaked bread, and butter.
Serve French toast immediately dusted with confectioners' sugar, syrup, and fresh fruit or bacon, if desired.

Results: Pretty yummy! I tried to halve this recipe but had medium eggs so I ran out of the egg dip for the last piece. Booo. Served with bacon. Oh and no, I didn't have clarified butter or superfine sugar. I used regular for both so I'm sure it was a bastardized version of the Balthazars but whatev. Still good.

0 comments: