9.05.2010

Week 33, Recipes 1 & 2: Angry Lobster with Tomato-Chile Butter & Confetti Corn

This angry lobster recipe is angry because it's been whacked... and I think also because it's simmering in crushed red pepper flakes.  MMMM  You'll need to get the recipe from this Tyler's Ultimate Cookbook link because typing it out is a bit tedious.  Very yummy!!  And beautiful as you see!  I'm very proud to have cooked this.

It was my first time cooking lobster.  The tails were on sale for $2.99 each!  They were small tails but 2 was enough per person.  So exciting!  I knew exactly what I was going to do with them.  Lobster, like all shellfish, is temperamental
 so be careful not to overcook it!

Confetti Corn
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten 
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 small orange bell pepper, 1/2-inch diced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kernels cut from 5 ears yellow or white corn (4 cups)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil, minced fresh chives, and/or minced fresh parsley leaves
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Stir in the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.

Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Over medium heat, add the corn, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the corn just loses its starchiness. Season to taste, gently stir in the basil or other green herbs, and serve hot.

Results: Soooo good!  Perfect complement to the lobster!  I used chives, basil and parsley.  The orange bell peppers were $6.99/lb. at Whole Foods!!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!  A three-pack with orange, yellow & red was still a horrendous $3.99/lb. but I bit the bullet and got that instead.  The first time I try recipes, I try to stick to their conventions.  I experiment the second go round.  I think this will be just as delicious with red bell peppers. 

4 comments:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

When I clicked the link I wanted know what you did to make the lobster angry! LOL! It does sound like a yummy recipe! I love lobster, crab, skrimps and those delectable scallops! Mmmmm!

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

I came back in to say if I got stabbed between my eyeys while I was alive I would be angry too! LOLOLOLOL!

Jameil said...

LOL. It was soooo good! I just used lobster tails. I wasn't about to be doing all that murdering!

Confessions Of A City Girl said...

OOO! This looks soooo good! I must try :-D

-Sherine
Check out my blog! Feel free to comment!
http://sherinethegirl.blogspot.com/