10.25.2010

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce

I was watching the Food Network and Cooking Channel at 1 in the morning and decided I wanted to cook. I found this recipe on cdkitchen. I originally started with a different recipe on the site but switched to this one when I realized I didn't have lemon. Bah. I was already past the anchovy step so I didn't use them this time.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 can (28 ounce size) Italian style crushed tomatoes
1 can (5-ounce size) whole clams
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
12 ounces uncooked linguine

Heat olive oil over low heat. Add the anchovy paste and garlic (I also added half of a diced/minced red onion). Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, tomatoes (I used a 15 oz. can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes), and broth from the clams, white wine, tomato paste, and parsley. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
Bring a large kettle of water to a boil and cook the linguine until al dente. Drain well.
Add the linguine and clams to the sauce and reheat, Serve immediately.

Results: We all know I hate tomato paste so I definitely left that out.  I got some body in the sauce by using diced tomatoes.  This was soooooooooooo good.  Full of flavor.  I added salt and white pepper to the sauce.  I also definitely used more crushed red pepper than the recipe called for!

0 comments: