7.23.2011

2011, Recipe 60: Rustic Peach Cake

Recipe courtesy of Mehan's Kitchen
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/2 c unsalted butter
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 egg
  • 4-5 sliced peaches or 16-20 pitted plums, sliced in half
  • raw sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon for topping
Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar and then add flour, baking powder, salt and eggs. Beat well. Spoon batter into springform pan and place sliced peaches (with or without skin) skin side up on top of batter. Sprinkle with about 1 spoon of lemon juice and then 1 spoon cinnamon and sugar. Bake 40 minutes to an hour. Cool. Top with whipped cream.  Cake freezes well.

Results: Several warnings about this cake.  One, it looks like next to no batter when you mix it all up.  Two, you will smell it almost the second you put it in the oven.  This let me know there was no way it would take an hour to cook as the recipe stated.  I added that 40 minutes because mine was a little burnt in spots at 45 minutes.  I would say after 40, check it by sticking a toothpick in the center.  When it comes out dry, your cake is ready.

Despite those thing and my huge skepticism, this cake was really yummy.  It tasted like pound cake with peaches in it.  I tried to make it all pretty and my heavier peach slices sank to the bottom anyway.  I'm sure that's why she says skin side up.  It was delicious.  Next time I'll use the full four peaches.  Also... I got to use my new cake plate! :)

0 comments: