7.10.2011

Recipe 53: Pumpkin Cake in a Mug

I always forget to post these recipes if I don't do it immediately.  I've been on a pumpkin kick lately.  Don't be surprised if you see another pumpkin recipe or two on here in the next month.  No, I don't feel bound by fall! :)  I was intrigued by the idea of cooking a cake in the microwave!  I was like, I can give up 5 mins of my life to give this a shot!  MAKE SURE YOU USE A GIANT MUG!!

Recipe courtesy of Cakespy.com
  • 7 tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Dash of ginger, ground cloves and nutmeg
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional)
Mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves and nutmeg. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Mix well, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mug. Stir in the pumpkin and pecans.

Cook for 3 minutes on high on a microwavable plate, followed by 2 minutes at 50% power. Turn the mug upside down to release the cake onto the plate.

Note: She also suggests coating the inside of the mug with a no-stick spray to ensure easy release. I forgot this step since it wasn't in the recipe itself and mine still came out fine.
 
Results: First, you know I don't like nuts so I definitely didn't add those.  Second, I couldn't find my ground cloves! That made me batty!  I have since found them.  I added extra nutmeg since I love me some nutmeg.  Third, can you believe I get distracted when I'm cooking/baking and have to count above 4?  I'm always like wait... was that 5 or 6? Oh geez... It usually turns out okay tho! LOL  This one was way wetter than your average cake.

2 comments:

Kali said...

Do you think it can be made in chocolate or how about Sweet Potatoes(since they also come in a can?)

Jameil said...

Someone commented on the original post about chocolate cake in a mug. I'm sure either of those would work as well!