3.28.2011

2011, Recipe 28: Herbed Turkey Meatball Subs

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray magazine
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (gives it a sausage-y taste)
  • Five 6-inch hoagie rolls (I used wheat)
  • 3 onions, halved and sliced (I used 2)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 6 ounces sliced pancetta, chopped (I used bacon)
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped (I had dried so I used it)
  • Salt and pepper
  • One 15-ounce can tomato puree
  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
  1. In a large nonstick skillet, toast the fennel seeds over medium heat. Transfer to a large bowl and reserve the skillet. Using a food processor, pulse 1 hoagie roll into crumbs; add 3/4 cup crumbs to the bowl.
  2. Using the food processor, finely chop 1 cup onion slices and the garlic. In the reserved skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic-onion mixture and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes; add to the bowl, wiping out the skillet. Using the food processor, finely chop 1/4 cup basil; add the pancetta and pulse until finely chopped. Add to the bowl along with the turkey, egg, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix together.
  3. Shape the meat mixture into 16 meatballs. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining onions and cook until browned, about 7 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the meatballs and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover with foil and cook until the meatballs are firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
  4. Preheat the broiler. Partially split the remaining 4 hoagie rolls; arrange cut side up on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Broil until toasted. Top each roll with 4 meatballs. Chop the remaining 1/2 cup basil and stir into the tomato sauce; spoon over the meatballs. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and broil until the cheese is melted.

    Results: Yum! And I love that my picture looks more delicious than theirs! :) (Which you already know if you follow me on Tumblr!)  Two things, 1) Pancetta is way too expensive to be putting it in some meatballs so I used bacon-- completely unnecessary so maybe there's a reason she picked pancetta, however I'm quite sure this would be perfectly delicious without the unnecessary 300 calories or more bacon adds to this.  2) The recipe doesn't say what to do with the onions you sliced and browned! So I put them on the bottom of the hoagie rolls.  SOOOO GOOD!!!  I love caramelized onions!  And the little bits of basil you snag?  Killer!

5 comments:

Sha Boogie said...

Oh. YUM. Turkey meatball sub. You don't got to ask me twice! Looks delish, I will def be making this.

K. Rock said...

Looks good. Esp. with the onions. Caramelized onions are the bomb.

Jameil said...

Sha... can't wait to here abt it!

k... they really are!

Gorgeous Puddin said...

I'm all about the meatball sub on a hoagie. Me no likey the onion...but if I had to eat them Caramelized is the most palatable.

Oh yeah I like burnt onion rings *shrugs*

Jameil said...

I'm extra confused about what you eat. It's time for a post about your food oddities & your fave foods. Maybe all us food bloggers should do that! What we refuse to cook and what we want to.