1.22.2007

Cupcakes

Me and my sister have been practicing our cupcaking. Every weekend until March 10 we will be trying a new recipe. She wants a cupcake tree for her baby shower. Normally I don't think the mother-to-be participates in putting the shower together, but this heffa is nosy as hell so nothing is a surprise. So she gets to make her own cupcakes. She makes a really good pound cake (no i'm not sharing the recipe, cuz i don't know it), so we've been experimenting with different flavors of that one cake recipe. So far its been regular pound cake and chocolate. I'm on the decorating committee. I make the frosting and decorate the cakes. Her shower colors are: brown, pink, teal and lime.

First batch was ok. Buttercup Bakeshop has a Cookbook. They have really good cupcakes. So I made a golden cake with buttercream frosting. Cake was too dense, and frosting was too thin. Didn't have cupcake liners to fit in the large cupcake pan. So once i finished decorating, i put the cupcakes in the fridge without an airtight container. Next day they were rock hard.

Second batch was tasty but ugly. We didn't use liners because when she makes her cakes she sugars the pan, giving the cake a nice sweet & sugary crust. No luck with that in a cupcake pan. We filled the cups to high, the tops overflowed creating a pancake effect on top of the pan that we forgot to grease. The tops were to heavy so when it came time to take the cupcakes out of the pan the tops fell off. So we ended up with flat square top sandwich cupcakes. I had to use the frosting as a glue in order to keep the top and the bottoms together. I also didn't have a large enough cake decorating tip, so my frosting designs were not how I envisioned. However I found a better buttercream frosting recipe that had a better consistency and tasted really good. All in all the cupcakes were banging they just didn't look professional. My father suggested going to Sam's and ordering 60 cupcakes.

Third batch was banging. Used the pound cake recipe but added cocoa powder. Used bright pink cupcake liners that dyed the pan pink from the cooking spray. We only filled the cups 3/4 of the way and sprayed the top of the pan. These came out perfect. I added chocolate syrup to my frosting and had the right decorating tip. I sprinkled a little pink edible glitter and we were good to go. These cupcakes looked like they came from a bake shop.

Next week either carrot cake, pink velvet or keylime.

2 comments:

Jameil said...

i'm in love w/all of those ideas!!! lmao @ My father suggested going to Sam's and ordering 60 cupcakes. hater!!! that is not how you encourage folk!! need more cupcake ideas? http://www.dozencupcakes.com/html/flavors.html

btw i don't like cake, but i LOVE cupcakes! just enough cake. plus if they're a variety, i can have lots! whooo hooooooooo!!

Adei von K said...

yoooooooo, that last res sounds bomb as hell!

as you may or may not know, i'm not the best baker. rache and i have relegated our oven duties to you.

so you got my bridal shower when the time comes right?