5.12.2010

Week 17, Recipe 1: Lamb Burgers w/Feta Sauce

This is a recipe Stace & I teamed up on at her house in West Palm Beach!  We started with a base lamb burger, then So good!



Burgers
half of a medium onion
1 lb. ground lamb
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
2 shakes of worcestershire sauce
2 large cloves of garlic, minced

Feta Sauce 
4 oz. sour cream
3 oz. garlic & herb feta
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 tsp. italian seasoning paste (mix of basil & parsley)

whole wheat buns
fresh spinach to top burgers

Directions:
Sauté onions until translucent and fragrant.  Let cool.  You can quick cool them in the freezer for about 5 minutes while you combine the rest of the ingredients for the burgers.  Once the onions have cooled, add them to the lamb & spices.  Mix gently to distribute spices, garlic & onions.  Score with your hand to create four even patties.  Pat down the center of each burger so it doesn't bulge when you cook.  Cook with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side.  While cooking, combine ingredients for feta sauce, taste & adjust seasonings as desired.  Toast buns.  Create burgers with sauce on bottom, burger, then spinach, top with roll top.

Result:  DELICIOUS!!  Stace thought they needed more salt but I loved them!  Great collaboration!  I created the feta sauce based on what Stace had in her fridge plus the feta and was quite pleased!

4 comments:

Adei von K said...

They were VERY good!! I may have to incorporate more ground lamb in the repertoire!!

I did think they needed more salt and I remember a chef on food network (the one with spiky blond hair... ann burrell?) saying to salt your meat! meat is more absorbent of salt than we think it is!

I think if I had a lemon, the feta sauce would have been amazing instead of just good.

best believe I took the left overs for lunch the next day! it reheats well :-)

Jameil said...

Chefs also say undersalting is the number 1 mistake home chefs make. I tasted it before the italian paste so I was biased. Lol. It was flavorless before that and perked right up after! Probably would be awesome w/some lemon, too. I knew they'd reheat well. I was sad I didn't take one with me!

K. Rock said...

There must be a lamb burger revolution going on because I keep seeing recipes for lamb burgers. I guess I will have to give in and try them. Yours look delicious.

Jameil said...

I finally started eating lamb burgers last summer & haven't regretted it once! The meat is ridiculously flavorful before you add anything to it. SO good! You should definitely give it a try!