10.12.2006

Chicken and Stuffing Bake

This has become one of my FAVORITE things to eat!!! I repeat, FAVORITE! Total comfort food!

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
I'm a dark meat person and use thighs.
Plus I leave the bone in and the skin on
4 slices of Swiss cheese
provolone girl here
6.8oz pkg of Chicken Helper chicken & stuffing
4oz sliced mushrooms, drained
hot water
2 tbsp of butter or margarine

Heat oven to 375. Place chicken in baking dish, cover with half of your mushrooms, then slices of cheese. Sprinkle with remaining mushrooms and stuffing
I seasoned my chicken with your basic s&p, garlic powder, and thyme before adding the aformentioned ingredients

Mix 1.5 cups of hot water and the seasoning mix; pour over stuffing. Stir 1 cup of hot water and gravy mix with whisk until smooth; pour over mixture in dish. Melt butter; drizzle over mixture.
I added dried parsely to my butter while it was melting on the stove. Stirred it around a bit then drizzled it over the dish.

Cover and bake 20 min. Uncover and bake 15-20 min longer or until top is golden brown and the juice of the chicken is no longer pink in the thickest parts.

Serve with crisp green salad and buttermilk biscuits for real comfort food and since the oven is still hot, whip up some brownies for dessert. Hmmmmm!